PostSubject: Choccy's match reports...2016/17   Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:28 am

First topic message reminder :

Here ya go Choccy...sorry a bit late...

AuthorMessage
Malc
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Choccy's match reports...2016/17   Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:31 am

Coventry City Vs Bury Town

A good crowd of just fewer than 10,000 turned up to see if City could get off the scoring mark but the team news hardly inspired confidence. Reid and Jones apparently carrying knocks no news on Kwame Thomas and Sordell still out the front three were Tudgay, George Thomas and Lameiras, in midfield we had Gadzhev and making his debut Chris McCann, the back five were Rose, Ricketts, Harries, Willis and Rose but the new defender Jordan Turnbull wasn’t signed in time to be included. In goal was Reece-Cook playing his 40th league game. Today’s ex-City player, enforced in the F.A. rules you have to have one, was Jermaine Grandison who played 8 games for us some six years ago now. Last season City won this game 6-0 but only Ricketts and Reece-Cook started both, Rose and Lameiras came off the bench that day.

The game started quietly and basically remained that way (I could finish the match report there but I will plough on). Town were pushing forward early on but Harries was getting to everything at the back. With the game still trying to settle we had problems for Bury when Danns went down and tried again after treatment but had to be taken off. Lameiras then had City’s first shot fizzing well wide as both defences were well on top. City looked toothless up front, George Thomas who would maybe 7th or 8th choice forward after the transfer window, looked lost, Lameiras was too weak, Tudgay tried his best to win the headers but City were nowhere as strong as the visitors. A brief worry as Bury knocked in a free kick and Reece-Cook came out and totally missed it but it went out for a goal kick. With ten to go Bury’s Jones flew into Rose with studs up and injured the player, many fans were screaming for a red card but maybe a yellow would have been more appropriate but Mr England decided to just give a warning. I wonder what he thought minutes later when Rose had to limp off and be replaced by Dion Kelly-Evans. City’s tactic of knocking the ball down the wing for Rose to head was now over. Reece-Cook had us on the edge of our seats as he was closed down but City retained the ball. Up front it was awful but at the back it was solid with Willis and Ricketts joining Harries in clearing everything up. Etutu then blocked a free kick and was booked, so a studs up challenge that injures a player gets nothing an instinctive block gets a yellow card, strange rules football has. Tom Pope came close to getting on the end of a cross as we entered injury time where Pope fired at the keeper and McCann fired wide. The team was booed off.

Second half, at last a chance off went Lameiras who was missing again and on came Jones. City won a corner early on that Willis headed wide as the search for a league goal went on. Jones was improving things with a couple of darting runs but after one of them I could see he was clearly holding his groin and he looked like he had pulled something. Finally George went off and was replaced by Reid, City now looked a bit better. City won a corner and Gadzhev nearly picked out Harries but Bury counter attacked and fired over. Jones then got himself into a good position but instead of shooting, maybe his injury didn’t help, he picked out Kelly-Evans who hit the side netting. Reid worked himself into some good positions but his finishing was poor maybe a collective lack of confidence amongst the players. The game itself was still very poor as Harries now started to take the ball out into midfield to get things moving. Haynes put in a couple of good tackles as the clock ran down. Late on Bury had a couple of good chances one blocked by the keeper the other fired over before Tudgay volleyed one wide then Mr England blew for full time.

More booing but with two players promised by the manager before Bradford and maybe Sordell available things are maybe not too bad.

Man of the match
1st Cian Harries: A great talent
2nd Jordan Willis: Played well.
3rd Sam Ricketts: Used his experience well.

Malc
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Choccy's match reports...2016/17   Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:31 am

Coventry City Vs Shrewsbury Town

Toady obituary ex-City players were Jim O’Brien and Gary Deegan meanwhile Sordell failed a late fitness test but we did have a new defender. The line up was in goal Reece-Cook, with Rose, Ricketts, Willis, Harries and making his debut Lewis Page at the back. Gadzhev and Stevenson were in midfield leaving the front three of Reid, Lameiras and Jones. Inside the ground, using my season ticket I was ready for the first home league game of the season.

City looked bright early on with Ricketts going close from a corner. City were still using the ball well when Lameiras slide in Gadzhev who hit the side netting. City were passing the ball around well and testing the Shrews as Reid tried to escape down the wing earning a booking for the Shrews’ fullback. The resulting free kick taken by the Bulgarian found the Portuguese who couldn’t beat the Swiss in the goal. It was all City as Page did well to keep the ball in play and found Reid, the forward then back-heeled to the full back whose cross picked out Rose but the header was wide. Shrewsbury were sitting deep and already wasting time as City continued to probe. Reid then went close with a shot over the bar. The away side finally had an effort before the half ended without any goals.

Second half saw Town make two changes, they had the first chance of the half before Gadzhev curled a free kick wide. Ricketts was then booked as Mr Joyce the referee started to take centre stage. City then counter attacked well with Reid getting in a shot that the keeper turned around the post the resulting corner saw Rose go close. The first subs were then made of went Jones who was looking good and on came Tudgay. The referee meanwhile was still allowing the away side to waste time and seemed to give every decision their way. Stevenson was then booked as the ref was happy to show the yellow card. Rose fired wide before Harries was booked. Lameiras then was taken off and replaced by Kyle Spence who’s only appears was a couple of years ago in the J.P.T at Wycombe. Page was then booked and this time I had no complaints. At the other end Gadzhev showed strength in knocking over Deegan but the so-called Pitbull refused a hand shake from the midfielder. The Reid was withdrawn and Kwame Thomas came on for his home debut. Spence had a good run but then Thomas went down and was in a bad way, after a couple of minutes the distressed forward was stretchered off which is a massive blow for the club. City now had to play 15 minutes with ten men. Despite being lighter in numbers City still went forward but it was the away side that came closer hitting the post then in the dieing seconds a ball ran across the goal and it seemed a tap in for O’Brien but thankfully he couldn’t reach it and we got our first point of the season.

City look good apart from the scoring department with Thomas now injured a lot is riding on Sordell.

Man of the Match
1st Jordan Willis: Strong at the back
2nd Kyle Reid Looking good
3rd Cian Harries A great future.

Malc
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Choccy's match reports...2016/17   Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:30 am

Coventry City Vs Portsmouth

So with the fiasco that is Coventry City forcing me down the Ricoh early as possible for despite paying in May I still hadn’t received my season ticket, along with many others and since I ticketed the cup ticket section I also never received my Pompey ticket either. The ticket office was closed at Butts earlier in the day so turned up at the Ricoh at 6.15, thankfully the queue wasn’t too long and it took me 15 minutes to reach the tills. I tried to book my season ticket seat but that was not available on the fact it had been reserved for me, being a season ticket holder but I couldn’t buy it because it had to be set aside for myself, so no one else could take it not even I, who is the season ticket holder! I bought the ticket and had to pay a £1 surcharge making it more expensive than the Portsmouth fans were paying. Left the office and now the queue was stretching well beyond the door of the office despite only having a small attendance. Into the ground and I heard the team news and T.M didn’t tinker with the side as much as I though he would, in goal was Reece-Cook, with Rose, Ricketts, Willis, Harries and Haynes at the back, Gadzhev and making his debut Ben Stevenson, leaving Lameiras, Tudgay and George Thomas up front meanwhile today’s ex City player was Adam Barton captaining the League Two side with Baker and Doyle on the bench. By now the organisers had a brainwave and decided to open up two cash turnstiles as the queue was stretching to the roundabout, this prompted a mad rush but everyone tried to get in before kick off.

So City set out trying to win a League Cup tie for the first time since we beat Birmingham in 2012. City started fairly well with Willis having a header cleared before Haynes went on a run and fired in shot but no problem for the keeper. Pompey then got a shot in at the end where their fans where. Haynes had another go before Tudgay had a shot none of them on target as the game had a pre-season feel about it. The League Two side were finding their way into the game and after a second corner Bennett advanced into the box and Gadzhev missed his challenge and brought him down, the linesman gave it and it looked a pretty clear penalty. The City players protested claiming a dive as Vladimir was booked. Main took the spot kick as we waited to see if Reece-Cook was any better at penalties than last season the answer no, as again he dived the wrong way as Pompey took the lead. Haynes was taken out with a bad tackle and his assailant was very lucky to escape without a booking. The away side started to drop back and defend as City came forward. Rose was given plenty of space down the right and he picked out Tudgay who couldn’t get any direction or power on a header. City were looking comfortable on the ball but the Portsmouth defence were having no problems. One shift counter-attack saw the lower division side break clear but Willis showed great pace to get back and break up the attack, the Cov Kid was having a good game. Barton almost scored for his old club forcing the keeper to tip the ball over his own bar. City were being let down in several areas, Lameiras and Tudgay up front and Haynes at left back were poor. Portsmouth came close at the other end before Gadzhev again picked out Rose who crossed but Tudgay could get it on target. The away side were wasting time and they got away with taking what seemed like over thirty second for a throw in. In the last minute Rose had a chance, after the ball had broke to play in Ricketts, how had made a run into the area but instead passed to Thomas in an off side position. Half time a goal down most of us would have liked to see new signing Lewis Page come on for the second half for Haynes.

At half time the P.A announced that all season tickets have been despatched whilst I shouted back that I could have delivered them quicker on my bicycle.

Second half did see a change as Jones replaced Thomas. The change had an immediate impact as the player showed great skill in jinked past a couple of tackles and lifting the team and crowd. A couple of “Sisu out” chants rolled down from the stands. Rose again crossed well before Stevenson had a blast, the young midfielder was playing well, and passing the ball with great proficiently it was hard to believe it was his debut. Haynes then over hit another cross as City started to dominate. Jones then wriggled free and teed up Lameiras for a shot that hit the woodwork. City kept up the pressure as Lameiras had a cross cleared and Gadzhev clipped the ball back it the Portsmouth defence couldn’t clear and the ball dropped to Haynes who hit it first time to level the game up the club’s current longest serving player’s second goal. Reid came on for Tudgay and now City started to look very threatening. Portsmouth were pulled up, too the delight of the home supports for taking too long over a throw in. Suddenly all the passes where sticking City were knocking it around well and Haynes went from a poor player to one full of confidence as Reid was dragging defenders around. Reid fired in a cross as Jones just couldn’t get on the end of it. T.M made another change off went the immaculate Willis and on came Jack Finch for his first game since a home game again Milton Keynes a couple of seasons ago so it was the defender’s first game under Mowbray. Then with eight minutes left Jones found Lameiras who played in Gadzhev and the former Levski man got off the mark by rolling the ball past the keeper. I celebrated by showing people my Levski key ring and shouting “rakia”, a popular drink in Bulgaria. Portsmouth went forward minutes later and won a free kick some 25-30 yards out but Naismith hit it perfectly and scored with a brilliant free kick and we were level again. It was Portsmouth looking the most dangerous in the closing minutes but the referee blew for full time meaning we had another half an hour to watch.

Maybe not so much fun for the travelling fans from Hampshire as the first period of extra time got under way as we all dreaded a penalty shoot out. Now it was all City who were keeping the ball as Portsmouth looked knackered. After a 100 minutes Jones forced the keeper into a save. The big danger was a counter attack and this happened minutes later as Portsmouth raced down the right Bennett was free down the middle, he received a pass and only had Reece-Cook to beat the keeper raced out but the played was about to skip around him when Cookie reached around him and took the ball off his feet and the defence got back to clear the danger. The first period ended.

The period was seconds old when Haynes fired in a shot the keeper pushed it away but only to Rose who scrambled the ball home to give City the lead again. I insisted that the game should now be a Golden Goal as City showed great skill in keep ball. Poor old Portsmouth couldn’t get the ball as the Sky Blues were showing great professionalism. City could have added to the score line but Bass in the away goal was keeping his side in it including scrambling back to prevent a spectacular own goal. The Portsmouth fans were still giving good support with the Pompey Chimes and the dieing minutes saw Portsmouth finally get the ball and go forward but the defence stayed resolute to see out the game and for City to make the 2nd Round.

Man of the Match (a real tough choice)
1st Andy Rose looked great at right back and scored
2nd Vladimir Gadzhev: a natural replacement for Fleck
3rd Ben Stevenson: a great debut

Malc
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Choccy's match reports...2016/17   Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:29 am

Swindon Town Vs Coventry City

So the season was back and we kicked off against a team we have not beaten in the league since the 1960’s. It was a wonderful warm day, a day for doing the garden, being by the sea or watching cricket as they where when we finally pulled into the cricket ground in Swindon which is next door to the football ground. It had taken three hours to reach the Wiltshire town but the mood was kept high by the boxes of cakes I brought with me being my birthday recently for the three in the car. It hasn’t been a great summer for City with the expected number of players not signed and the academy threatened with closer because Sisu don’t want to maintain civil relationships with anyone. Season tickets still not posted and a club run on the standards that would embarrass a Sunday League team
In the old and frankly dangerous County Ground at last we could get a new season underway. The first game of the new season is normally trying to get used to all the new faces but it wasn’t hard today as we only had one debutant starting, the team was playing 5-2-3, in goal Reece-Cook, with Dion Kelly-Evans and Haynes as wing backs, Harris, Ricketts and playing his first game of the year after a long injury Willis. In midfield we had Gadzhev, Rose, with Jones, George Thomas and new boy Marvin Sordell up front.

City were in the new home kit that looks a lot better at a distances than it does close in. It was a good turn out for the City fans. City attacked the far end in the first half and early on Jones was brought down and won a free kick it was cleared but not very well and the ball came back to Sordell whose shot took a slight deflection and hit the post. Swindon had former City player Connor Thomas playing but in defence and amazingly as captain. City were looking quite good going forward with Sordell showing some good control. The Robins looked poor at the back and City were looking the better side. Swindon were looking poor at the back as Sordell found space again after a run and knocked the ball across the penalty area George Thomas threw himself at it but couldn’t make good contact. Swindon started to retain more of the ball but they couldn’t find a way through the defence. City were easily the better side as Sordell flicked the ball and Kelly-Evans forced the Robins’ keeper into a save. The home side kept the ball and continued to probe and finally had a shot on target. Sordell was first into the book and he was very harshly booked by a not very good referee. Jones was looking lively as well when he played a ball through for Thomas to run onto he only had the keeper to beat but made it easy for him with a poor shot. The first half ended as Mr Hendley the referee was booed after a poor first half.

The second half saw a surprise as Sordell didn’t re appear and was replaced by debutant Kyel Reid. City attacking the section of the away fans saw the first chance as Jones had a shot blocked by the keeper’s legs. Swindon started to improve and missed a golden chance when they blasted over. Harris made a great block back in the defence. City didn’t look as sharp without Sordell as Swindon were now looking the better side. Willis blocked a shot. At the other end Jones went down with cramp and was replaced by Lameiras. Not long after one Thomas was replaced by another as Kwame made his debut as it seemed City couldn’t afford more than one Thomas on the pitch at the same time. City had now lost their way up front as the midfield were disappointing. The Robins were winging around the area and a shot smacked against the crossbar before Reece-Cook made a save. Late on Swindon found room and Kasim unleashed a great shot to give the home side the lead and they probably deserved it.

Man of the Match:
1st Cian Harris: Only his second game but played well
2nd Sam Ricketts: Under ratted
3rd Marvin Sordell: Looks promising.

Malc
Admin

PostSubject: Choccy's match reports...2016/17   Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:28 am

Here ya go Choccy...sorry a bit late...

Choccy's match reports...2016/17
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2